Pages

Friday, January 27, 2012

First stop: The Republic of Texas

The Texans already know it and the rest of us just need to accept it, Texas is it's own country!

Highlights of my visit:
-Little Luke. My nephew is friggin adorable. Barely two and he's already mastered the art of persuasion. He knows how to get what he wants.
-The food! I was greated with a spread of tacos and four different homemade salsas. Pico de Gallo, tomatillo salsa, guacomole and mole salsa. My sister-in-law can cook! And then there was the massive plate of Texas bbq. In NC bbq refers to pork but in Texas it's all about the beef.
-The bulls. I got to watch some cowpeople (pc version of cowboys?) herd 17 longhorn (we're talking 6 feet!) cattle through the historic streets of Ft. Worth. Later we attended the rodeo. The whole thing was fascinating. Sparkly belts and intracate boots momentarily distracted me but in the end the bull riders were definitely the stars of the show.

Some of you scoffed (you know who you are!) at the idea of making Ft. Worth the first stop on this adventure but it turned out to be the perfect beginning. Staying with my brother's family helped to ease me into homelessness and the distinct Texan culture helped to prepare me for what it's going to feel like to be an outsider.

No comments:

Post a Comment