Pages

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Roasted Kangaroo Tail

A recipe.

Ingredients: 6 kangaroo tails

Instructions: Build a fire. Once strong singe the hair off kangaroo tails and scrape off with a knife or stick. Once all hair is removed wrap in foil and bury tails in ground with hot coals. Dig up 45 min later. Snap each tail into about three pieces. Peel leathery off like a banana before eating like a drumstick.

--------------------------------

We were lucky enough to stay with an aboriginal man that is a cousin of Leena's friend during our time in Yulara, where Uluru is located. Leena was invited to join his friends for a kangaroo tail roast on their land. I.e. in the middle of the desert. I got to tag along. It was a huge honor. We even got to meet Bob Randall. He is the father and uncle of the two men we joined for the day, Robbie and Johnny.

In addition to roasting the kangaroo tail we roasted a chicken in the ground. Later that night we used it for a small potluck dinner. This particular dinner made me realize, yes, I dearly miss home and evenings like this with my friends but I'll miss this when I am home. The freedom of the road. Meeting incredible people everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment